Ever since I first saw Mathias’ videos on home-made wooden bandsaws I thought that one day I’d like to have a go at building one myself. I ended up purchasing the plans but sat on them for a few years until I had the space, time and motivation to start the project.
If you are interested in building one for yourself, more details can be found on Mathias’ website here and here.
For the most part, I followed the plans but there were a few things which I altered, one of which being the laminated frame construction. The bandsaw is designed to be fairly easy to construct using traditional tools (table saw, drill press, hand-tools etc.) but I saw an opportunity to take advantage of my CNC router.
My idea was to combine some of the frame pieces into single parts which resulted in some more complex shaped components that would be very difficult to produce accurately without a CNC. The benefit would be a lower overall part count and therefore less parts to align and fit together during the glue lamination stage.
I used mostly scrap or reclaimed timber for the majority of the build with the exception of the frame where I was swayed by the convenience of pre-made 19 mm thick finger-joint laminated pine panels.
CNC cut complex components simplify the assembly. I made sure to add 0.3 mm clearance for easy fitting and glue-up.
The instagram post above shows some video footage of the wheels being turned on a lathe.
The instagram post above shows a video of the blade and wheels turning under the power for the first time.
The pulley I had was a very tight fit on my motor shaft so I used an old trick I picked up from somewhere online. I got a piece of threaded rod, cut a slot from one end using a hacksaw and slid a piece of emery paper through and mounted in my hand drill. A couple of seconds honing the bore at high speed resulted in a perfect fit.
This motor spins at 1800 RPM when connected to my VFD set to max, this results in a wheels speed of 516 RPM and blade speed of roughly 653 m/min. You may also note that originally the pulley was made to drive dual belts, I only need one so I used a lathe to trim off the excess.
After running this motor a few times I realised that the bearings were slightly noisy, it probably would have been fine but I made the decision to put fresh bearings in and save. myself the hassle of dismantling the saw to do it in the future.
Photos of the completed bandsaw are below, I am very happy with how this project turned out, it cuts great and has proven to be a very useful and versatile addition to my workshop.